Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Category Archives: Guitar

Baritone rebuild – day 5

I had a lot of details to tidy up before starting to apply the finish today. I started by pulling the clamps off the headstock veneer, then taping off the … Continue reading

July 28, 2015 · Leave a comment

Baritone rebuild – day 4

With the body roughly sanded, it is time to round over the top and bottom edges. I used a 1/4″ round-over bit in my little Bosch Colt. Just a quick … Continue reading

July 27, 2015 · Leave a comment

Baritone rebuild – day 3

Ok, so I had every intention of finishing the body last weekend, but I ran into a lot of operator error, mixed with a little bit of trouble from my … Continue reading

July 25, 2015 · Leave a comment

Baritone rebuild – day 2

Interesting day today. I started early by loading the second walnut panel into the CNC and started the top half of the guitar carving. Then I unwrapped the book-matched set … Continue reading

July 18, 2015 · Leave a comment

Baritone rebuild – day 1

My friend Bill has another guitar for me to rebuild. The last one was the Jerry Jones Baby Sitar. This one is also a Jerry jones, but it is a … Continue reading

July 17, 2015 · Leave a comment

Purpleheart & maple bass guitar – day 7 complete

I had a little more time this evening, so I wired up the controls and closed it up.     I added the control knobs and wired it up. Adam … Continue reading

June 24, 2015 · 5 Comments

Purpleheart & maple bass guitar – day 6

I got up bright and early yesterday to put the sixth and final coat of Tung oil onto the guitar body, before I went to work. After each coat, I … Continue reading

June 24, 2015 · Leave a comment

Purpleheart & maple bass guitar – day 5

The dye is dry, so I got up bright and early this morning to get the first coat of finish on. The dye is water based, so the grain got … Continue reading

June 21, 2015 · Leave a comment

Purpleheart & maple bass guitar – day 4

I intend to make a lot of saw dust today, so I moved my small work bench outside and clamped my guitar body to it. I put a 40 grit … Continue reading

June 21, 2015 · 13 Comments

Purpleheart & maple bass guitar – day 3

Today I am working on the back panel. Since I try to learn new techniques with every project, I am going to attempt to re-use the piece that I cut … Continue reading

June 19, 2015 · Leave a comment

Purpleheart & maple bass guitar – day 2

My last couple of weekends have been busy with graduations, so I haven’t been able to work on the bass guitar at all. I decided to blow off work today … Continue reading

June 18, 2015 · Leave a comment

Purpleheart & maple bass guitar – day 1

My friend Rick gave me a bass guitar neck. Now that I have the neck, I have to build a body to go with it… I did some searching on … Continue reading

June 11, 2015 · Leave a comment

Another 72 thinline telecaster – day 3

I was getting ready to glue up the two halves of the guitar when I noticed a small problem. The pilot holes for the neck screws were off on the … Continue reading

February 5, 2015 · Leave a comment

Another 72 thinline telecaster – day 2

  The second half finished its run in the carver. I flipped it over and cut away the tabs. With both halves freed up, I assembled them in a dry-fit … Continue reading

February 4, 2015 · Leave a comment

Another 72 thinline telecaster – day 1

I built a 72 thinline telecaster a few months back, and I have had a request for another one. The first one was made for a friend of mine and … Continue reading

February 2, 2015 · 1 Comment

Baby sitar build – day 6 – complete

The last coat of tung oil has dried, so I applied a coat of paste wax. After 15 minutes or so, I rubbed it off and buffed it out. It … Continue reading

January 25, 2015 · 4 Comments

Baby sitar build – day 5

Five of the six coats of tung oil have been applied. Before I add the final coat, I want to drill out all of the holes for the hardware. I … Continue reading

January 24, 2015 · Leave a comment

Baby sitar build – day 4

The upgraded sitar seems to have met with the owner’s approval so far, so it is now time to pick a finish. I did a bit of additional sanding to … Continue reading

January 23, 2015 · Leave a comment

Baby sitar build – day 3

I finished running the carve last night. It turned out nice. I pulled off the tape and cut the tabs that held the body in place.   It requires a … Continue reading

January 22, 2015 · Leave a comment

Baby sitar build – day 2

I pulled the clamps on the steam-bent crooks that will be used for a leg rest on the baby sitar. They did spring back a bit as I had planned, … Continue reading

January 21, 2015 · Leave a comment

Number of visitors

  • 233,697 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 171 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive