I had a little more time this evening, so I wired up the controls and closed it up.
I added the control knobs and wired it up.
Adam took it for a test drive, but thought it was a little too heavy.
So I handed it over to my middle son, Ian. He plays guitar, so he plugged it into his new amp and tuned it up for me. I took a couple of clips of him playing, if you want to hear what it sounds like.
I a few pictures from a couple different angles to try to highlight the grain of the curly purpleheart.
I still think I would prefer the natural maple color over the dyed amber, but it matches the neck pretty well, so I am happy. This project was mainly an experiment with sculpting the wood. I didn’t invest a lot in the hardware and the pickups, maybe $125 total. I am no guitar player, but it sounds pretty good to me and the purpleheart grain really stands out.
It was a fun week-long project.