Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Purpleheart & maple bass guitar – day 6

I got up bright and early yesterday to put the sixth and final coat of Tung oil onto the guitar body, before I went to work.

Prepping for the last coat

Prepping for the last coat

After each coat, I sanded the surface down with 400 grit paper, to remove any dust motes that may have stuck in the previous layer, and to prep the surface for the next coat.

Sixth coat of Tung oil

Sixth coat of Tung oil

After six coats, the body really shines.

Looking pretty

Looking pretty

When I got home from work, it was ready to be buffed out. One day, I might invest in a buffing wheel, but until then, a crumpled up piece of a brown paper bag will do.

Rubbing down with brown paper

Rubbing down with brown paper

After I took down any dust nibs with the paper, I applied a coat of paste wax.

Applying a little paste wax

Applying a little paste wax

After letting that dry for a few minutes, I buffed it off with a soft cloth.

Finish complete

Finish complete

 

Drilling mounting holes for the tail piece

Drilling mounting holes for the tail piece

With the finish as complete as it is going to get, I moved on to installing the hardware. I located and pre-drilled the holes for the tail piece, and attached it.

Mounting the tail piece

Mounting the tail piece

Things slowed down a bit when I installed the long, skinny screws for the pickups. One broke off in the body, and I stripped the head off another. I may come back later and drill out the broken screw, but for now, I shifted slightly to one side, and put in another one.

Installing pickups and breaking screws

Installing pickups and breaking screws

I decided to drill a slightly larger pilot hole for the rest of the screws, to help prevent binding.

Drilling larger holes...

Drilling larger holes…

 

Aluminum tape to reduce the opening size

Aluminum tape to reduce the opening size

The bushings, for the tuning heads, are supposed to press in tightly, but mine were loose. To correct this problem, I cut a sliver of aluminum tape, and wrapped it around the rim of the hole. Now the bushings press in very snugly. I installed the four screws, each, into the back of the tuners to hold them in place. And, yes, I managed not to break or strip any of them…

Installing the tuners

Installing the tuners

 

Breaking more screws...

Breaking more screws…

Of course, when I started installing the strap buttons, I promptly broke another screw.  Honestly, I am taking my time and installing them by hand, they just give me really cheap screws! Luckily, enough of the screw was sticking out, that I could get my vice grip pliers to lock on to the stub. I was able to carefully remove the broken bit without damaging the finish too much. Man, I am running out of extra screws…

Locking strap buttons installed

Locking strap buttons installed

I moved on to drilling the holes for the tone and volume knobs next. At least they wouldn’t break easily.

Drilling out the pot. holes

Drilling out the pot. holes

Before installing them, I lined the control cavity with adhesive-backed copper.

Installing the copper shielding

Installing the copper shielding

It is starting to pull together. With all the trouble with the screws, I really got slowed down. Looks like it will be one more day before I can finish up.

Almost done

Almost done

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Number of visitors

  • 119,019 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 84 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: