Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Baritone rebuild – day 4

With the body roughly sanded, it is time to round over the top and bottom edges. I used a 1/4″ round-over bit in my little Bosch Colt. Just a quick swipe all the way around and the edges were done.

Adding a 1/4" round-over

Adding a 1/4″ round-over

 

Sanding

Sanding

Next I broke out the finish sander again and sanded the entire body down to 220 grit.

Sanding...

Sanding…

I finished up the sanding, by hand, working my way down to 400 grit.

And more sanding...

And more sanding…

 

Tight neck pocket

Tight neck pocket

With the body sanded, I tested the fit of the neck. The pocket is just tight enough to hold the entire neck in place, dead-center on the pickup pockets.

Seated nicely

Seated nicely

 

Stick-on shield for the nut

Stick-on shield for the nut

To make the headstock match the guitar, I will be attaching a veneer. To insure that it glues on well, I need to sand away all the paint on the top. I attached a small piece of double-sided tape to the nut and then a scrap strip of walnut. The walnut will protect the nut from the sander. I quickly sanded away all the paint leaving a smooth, flat surface that is perfect for glueing.

Sanding the head

Sanding the head

I used a scrap piece of the burl to re-saw off a veneer for the headstock.

Re-sawing the veneer

Re-sawing the veneer

Tracing the head onto the veneer

Tracing the head onto the veneer

I traced the shape of the head onto the veneer and roughly cut out the shape, on the band saw.

Roughly cutting out the veneer

Roughly cutting out the veneer

 

Add a little glue

Add a little glue

I applied a little glue and spread it out thin to avoid having much squeeze-out. Then I located the veneer and clamped every surface I could reach.

Add a lot of clamps...

Add a lot of clamps…

Well, that wraps up the days work, I need to finish up the head when it is dry, then drill out holes on the body for hardware. After that, I should be able to start finishing.

Body comparison

Body comparison

Here is a comparison shot of the old and new body. You may notice that the new body is 1/2″ shorter. This was because of the holes that were in the burled top piece. I had to reduce it slightly to fit between the holes and the edge of the board. Still looks good though, and it will look a lot better when it gets some oil on it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Number of visitors

  • 118,801 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 84 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: