I talked to Bill about the switch and he didn’t feel like looking for one with a longer neck, so before I put on another coat of oil, I need to fix the switch problem.
The old guitar body had a 1/8″ thick top, the new one is 3/8″ thick. Since the burl top is rather soft, I want to remove as little of it as possible. I set the switch in place and traced a line around it.
The best way to easily remove the excess wood, that I can think of, is to use my router, with a spiral up-cut bit. I taped off the area, to prevent the router base from scratching the walnut, and set my bit to cut about 3/16″ into the burl.
The sawdust from the burl is weird. It is almost fluffy. It just floats in the air like powder. I will have to do some cleaning before I do any finishing now…
I tested the switch with the new pocket in place, and it fit well. Once the copper shielding has been installed, the switch should fit snugly in the pocket and not be able to spin.
I sanded the body down with 400 grit paper to smooth things out, and started the third coat of Tung oil.
I can only pour the oil on one side, then I have to hang the body to oil the sides and front. I have been alternating which side I do first so the nooks and crannies, on the front can be flooded when I pour the oil on.
I may be able to get one more coat on tonight or maybe in the morning before I go to work.