Bill finally got me the last piece of the project today. He wanted this particular style of input jack. I wish I had this component before I carved the rear. I would have moved the control pocket down enough that the jack could have been moved closer to the bottom. Since everything is carved and just one coat of finish away from complete, he will get it where it will fit…
After locating the position and angle, I used a 3/8″ forstner bit to drill out the hole. In order for the nut to tighten evenly, I used my chisel to make a flat spot, perpendicular to the hole.
You will barely notice the step once the pocket is lined with copper.
After testing the fit, the nut set squarely. This should help prevent it from accidentally un-screwing with use.
I have squeezed in a couple of coats of Tung oil over the last day and a half, so I am applying the sixth coat today. From my experience, this should give me just the level of film build-up that I want.
After this coat dries overnight, I will give it a coat of paste wax, then rub it out. Then I should be able to put it all together.