Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Church Altar and tabernacle stand – day 11

I pulled the clamps off of the tabernacle stand top today. Learning from the altar top, I only use the router to flush trim the end grain. for some reason it likes to tear-out chunks when cutting with the grain.

Flush trimming the end grain

Flush trimming the end grain

Planing the bottom with the grain

Planing the bottom with the grain

To trim with the grain, I used the block plane. With that out of the way, I started laying out the veneer for the bottom lip.

Laying out the veneer for the bottom lip

Laying out the veneer for the bottom lip

cutting out the lip veneer

cutting out the lip veneer

I took my time to lay out the angles so that the grain all went in the same direction. I cut the 45 degree angle on the band saw. The veneer doesn’t have to butt perfectly up against the plywood, that area will be covered with trim eventually. Once all the veneer was laid out, I glued and pin nailed it like all of the rest of the bottom veneer.

Installing the lip veneer

Installing the lip veneer

Trimming the bottom veneer edges

Trimming the bottom veneer edges

I trimmed all of the lip veneer with the block plane. Next, I flipped the board over and routed out the crosses on the front, then chiseled out the excess to make room to receive the crosses.

Cross pockets cut out

Cross pockets cut out

Glueing down the crosses

Glueing down the crosses

I spread the glue and rigged up yet another odd clamping arrangement.

Clamping down the crosses

Clamping down the crosses

Planing down the crosses

Planing down the crosses

Apparently I am getting the hang of this, I haven’t needed to repair or re-glue any of the veneer on this top yet. I planed the crosses down flush then sanded them down smooth.

Sanding the crosses

Sanding the crosses

While I am getting better at inlaying the crosses, they still have a couple small gaps that need filling. So I took a pinch of the stained wood flour that I saved and added some more hide glue and spread it over the crosses and a few areas with a funky grain that the planer couldn’t quite get perfect.

Filling around the crosses

Filling around the crosses

6/4 boards for the base

6/4 boards for the base

While that is drying I decided to cut down the 6/4 boards that have been in my way for a week or two now. They will be a lot easier to trim and plane when they are 3′ and 6′ long, not their current 13′ long. Currently they each weigh about 100 pounds. Way too heavy to be running through my small planer.

Cutting down the 6/4 for the base

Cutting down the 6/4 for the base

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on September 2, 2013 by in Church projects and tagged , , , , , .

Number of visitors

  • 125,586 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 87 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: