Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

St. Kilian chapel – Deacon’s chair – part 2

The stain is dry so it is time to set up my temporary spray booth. This is basically a drop cloth and a large piece of plastic clamped to the ceiling. It keeps the over-spray and fumes contained. I will wear a respirator when I spray.

Since this piece is short, I put it up on a stool on painter’s pyramids so that I can spray the bottom and the top at the same time. I am using oil-based semi-gloss polyurethane, sprayed on in two coats.

While the first coat was drying I got started on upholstering the seat cushion.

I used the top panel to mark the 2″ thick high density foam, then I cut it with a bread knife.

Next I cut a piece of batting, large enough to cover the sides as well.

I applied spray glue (for foam and fabric) to both surfaces then attached them when tacky.

Then I repeated the process on the other half.

I trimmed away the excess batting and cut a piece of fabric.

Leaning heavily on the board, to crush down the foam, I placed one staple in the center of each side.

Then I pulled the fabric away from the staple at a 45° angle and stapled down the side, being careful to keep the front straight and smooth.

After the side is stapled, you have to remove the original staple to get rid of the small dimple, then re-staple the same spot after the fabric drops back down. This gives you a smooth, even edge.

 

Next step was to trim back the extra material and staple up the corners.

I left a small pleat on either side of the 45° corners. I think it looks pretty good.

After the first coat of polyurethane had dried, I sanded down everything with 400 grit sand paper and wiped it clean to prep for the second coat.

When that was done, I closed up the plastic and let the chair dry for another day.

The next day I drilled four holes in the seat for attaching the cushion, then rubbed down the entire surface with brown paper to buff out any dust nibs and make the surface of the finish soft and smooth.

Then I centered the cushion and ran four screws up from the bottom to hold it in place.

The Deacon’s chair is now complete and ready to be delivered, along with the Ambo and Pastor’s chair, tomorrow.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Number of visitors

  • 202,888 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 138 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: