Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Walnut counter – day 3

Erin came over for a few hours yesterday, so we got back to work on the corbels.

img_4883-1280x960

I had a nice thick piece of white oak that we are going to use for the vertical back piece that mounts to the wall.

img_4884-1280x960

img_4885-1280x960

She cut two equal length pieces, then ripped them down to 3″ wide.

img_4887-1280x960

img_4889-1280x960

The intention is to mount the corbels on sliding dovetails so that they can be installed and removed without any visible mounting hardware. To create the dovetail, we cut a large dado down the center, then ran the board along the router fence, with the dovetail bit cutting along the inside walls of the dado. Due to the rotation of the bit, we had to run the piece from left to right. Typically, when you cut on the router table, you need to go from right to left because the bit cuts on the outside. For safety, we created a small test piece to check the direction of cut.

img_4892-1280x960

img_4941-1280x960

That created the channel. To create the dovetail piece, that will be bolted to the wall, we cut a piece that was just slightly narrower than the widest point on the channel, then cut the dovetail down each side.

img_4945-1280x960

It fit tightly so I used a block plane to finesse the width down enough that it fit smoothly, but tightly. Too loose and the corbels would wiggle. That would lead to loosening or cracking in the future.

img_4946-1280x960

All said and done, they fit nearly perfectly.

img_4948-1280x960

Erin switched out the dovetail bit for the 3/8″ round-over bit and rounded three of the four face sides of the back piece.

img_4949-1280x960

img_4950-1280x960

Next we moved on to the top pieces. She cut two pieces 3″ wide and 15-3/4″ long, and we planed them down to 3/4″ thick.

img_4951-1280x960

img_4952-1280x960

I set both back pieces up in a vise with a backer piece so we had a hard edge to square the top pieces up to.

img_4953-1280x960

Next, Erin pre-drilled and I applied glue to the joint.

img_4954-1280x960

She ran in two 3″ construction screws through each side.

img_4955-1280x960

img_4956-1280x960

The curved support that we started last week is a bit over-sized. We correct that by laying the 90 degree bracket on its side and marking new lines on the curved piece, when we were happy with the location.

img_4957-1280x960

I cut off the ends, and Erin finished sanding out the curves.

img_4959-1280x960

We ran out of time, but the next step will be to radius the edges, then attach the curves to the support brackets, then we will be done the corbels. Erin has to do a bit of demo to the wall, where this will be mounted, so we are not in a big hurry to finish. She decided that she wants to experiment with a bit of inlay on the surface of the counter top. She is refining her design choices now, so stay tuned.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on November 9, 2016 by in furniture and tagged , , , .

Number of visitors

  • 115,278 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 84 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: