Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Erin’s Fireplace bar – day 11 Delivered

Over the last couple of days we applied three coats of polyurethane to the bar. Between each coat, we sanded the entire thing down with 400 grit sandpaper.

img_4774-1280x960

img_4776-1280x960

When the girls came over to apply the third coat, I had Erin using the wiping poly anywhere detailed, to avoid having any drips or runs. Diana was in charge of the brush.

img_4777-1280x960

I expect the mantle and the doors to possibly see a bit more wear, so they got the heavier brush coats to get a bit more protection.

img_4778-1280x960

img_4780-1280x960

After everything had sat drying for about 24 hours, I gave it all a rub-down with some wadded up brown paper. It does a surprisingly good job of buffing out the final coat.

img_4781-1280x960

Next, I started installing the hardware.

img_4782-1280x960

img_4784-1280x960

The door latch, that Erin picked out, is unique and it looked really nice, when installed.

img_4785-1280x960

img_4786-1280x960

Our plan was to install these metal studs along the edges, but we inadvertently ordered too few. Erin decided to hold off installing any of them, until we had them all. Still looks good without them though, and we can easily pull the doors off and install the studs when we have more.

img_4787-1280x960

img_4788-1280x960

After I reinstalled the hinges, I put it all together, just to see how it all looked. Then I took it all apart and loaded it up to deliver.

img_4789-1280x960

When I got to Erin’s house, she wanted me to sign it, so I made her sign it as well. After all, short of the pieces that were carved on my CNC, she did a majority of the work.

img_4792-1280x960

img_4793-1280x960

I was a little concerned the bar might be harder to fit in place with the added piece of trim at the bottom, but everything went in smoothly.

img_4794-1280x960

To hold the mantle in place, I picked up some Tapcon masonry screws and a masonry bit to pre-drill the brick wall.

img_4796-1280x960

Four screws into each side and the bar was firmly in place.

img_4798-1280x960

With the mantle in place, I pre-drilled through the mounting flange and screwed it on with some bronze colored screws. You can’t see the screws unless you are laying on the floor, so they worked out well.

img_4799-1280x960

img_4801-1280x960

Last step was to install the fluted columns. I had Erin help finesse them into place, then used my brad nailer to attach them, over the Tapcon screws. If they ever want to remove the bar, we can simply pry the columns off and pull the screws.

img_4802-1280x960

I brought along a few pieces of quarter-round molding to trim the front, at the floor, so I attached those while I had the nailer out. The nail holes were barely visible, but Erin had some rub-in filler that matched really well, so she filled the holes. The girls are going to pick up some white caulk and carefully fill the small gap, in the drywall, that surrounds the façade, but other than that, we are done.

img_4804-1280x960

The girls are happy and already planning the next couple of projects… Oh, and by the way, I believe they are accepting donations to help fill the whiskey cabinet and the wine rack.

img_4805-1280x960

img_4806-1280x960

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Number of visitors

  • 125,438 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 87 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: