Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Maple & Purpleheart crib – day 9

Happy Easter everybody. I am spending most of the day with the family, but I wanted to get a bit of glueing done. Mainly, I want to attach the sides and the top, to the headboard today.

IMG_3785 (1280x960)

I started by clamping the top into place, so I had something to scribe the top of the side pieces with. Once I had the slight curve of the top rail, I cut both sides down on the bandsaw.

IMG_3786 (1280x960)

I dry-fitted them in place , and they looked really good.

IMG_3787 (1280x960)

I was planning on just face glueing the sides on, but I decided on a little extra support.

IMG_3788 (1280x960)

I got out my biscuit jointer and played with the depth controls on a scrap piece of wood until I got the settings perfect to set the depth I wanted. I then marked four different locations, on each side, then laid the headboard down.

IMG_3789 (1280x960)

First I cut the slots in the side of the headboard, then I adjusted the depth to cut the side pieces.

IMG_3790 (1280x960)

IMG_3791 (1280x960)

I dry-fit the sides again, and the biscuits lined them up perfectly, 1/4″ proud of the face of the frame.

IMG_3792 (1280x960)

IMG_3793 (1280x960)

I glued the biscuits into the sides first, then painted glue down the side of the frame. It is easier to attach the sides while the headboard is standing, so I stood it back up first. With it vertical, I had to spread the glue evenly and thin so it wouldn’t run.

IMG_3794 (1280x960)

Before attaching the sides, I painted glue onto the dry side of the biscuits. If I had painted the slots, they would have dripped out before I could get the sides on. Finally everything was glued, so I quickly assembled it and clamped it all up. I had to clamp from the front as well as the back, to keep the pressure even.

IMG_3795 (1280x960)

IMG_3797 (1280x960)

 

After an hour, the glue had set enough to pull the clamps. I used my 2″ chisel as a scraper to remove any excess glue. Next I turned the top rail upside down and painted the channel with wood glue.

IMG_3798 (1280x960)

I attached the top and used a little creative clamping to get pressure in all the right places.

IMG_3800 (1280x960)

IMG_3801 (1280x960)

About two hours later, I pulled the clamps.  It looked pretty good, things are starting to come together.

IMG_3802 (1280x960)

Tomorrow, I will try to have time to install the hardware, and maybe get the sides glued up. Then I just need the feet…

 

2 comments on “Maple & Purpleheart crib – day 9

  1. michael mathews
    March 28, 2016

    Beautiful design Lawrence! Looking great!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Number of visitors

  • 115,278 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 84 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: