I want to attach the control cavity cover with magnets. I made sure to place matching pilot holes in the cavity and on the cover. Since I drilled 1/8″ holes as locator holes for my magnets, I tested some 1/8″ magnets first.
I taped in the magnets to hold them in and tested the cover. It held in place pretty well, but when I smacked the body, the cover rattled and popped off.
I also have a small pile of 1/4″ diameter magnets as well and they are at least twice as strong as the smaller ones, so I used a forstner bit to drill out all my pilot holes, large enough to accept the larger magnets.
Next, I mixed up some five-minute epoxy and filled the pockets about half way.
I pressed the magnets in place and after about 15 minutes, I was able to test the magnetic hold and it as much stronger.
I placed the neck plate on the back of the neck pocket and clamped it in my desired location. I marked the centers with an awl, then drilled some pilot holes on the drill press.
I clamped the neck in place, then match-drilled the holes into the neck. Then I opened up the holes in the body so the screws could barely pass through.
I attached the neck with some screws and checked to see that everything lined up straight and true.
After removing the neck, I drilled the 7/8″ diameter hole for the input jack, then also drilled out the holes for mounting the pressed-in posts for the tuneomatic as well as the tail piece.
With all the holes drilled, it was time to start finishing.
I am using Tung oil finish on this guitar, same as the last couple, mainly because it won’t mess with the water-based dye too much. Hopefully it will also sink into the surface, through the dye, to cure, hardening the outer skin of the guitar.
Oops, I almost forgot to do the control cover as well…