Heat has been off-line, in the shop for the last week, so I haven’t been doing much down there. I had some time to trouble shoot yesterday, so the heat is now back up and running. I had a few hours to work today, so I got back on the conference table. I am going to focus on the legs today.
I cut the eight horizontal pieces, that will become the top and bottom side pieces, to the exact length of 28″. Next I squared them up and laid out the mortise locations. I will be laminating two pieces together to create 6/4 sides so I figured it would be easier to cut the mortises in an open-face fashion.
To cut these mortises, I chose a 1/2″ diameter straight bit.
I created a frame around my mortises, to restrict the router to the mortise location. I lowered the bit down about 3/16″ and made the first cut, holding the router tight to the frame.
I added spacers to give my router an edge to ride against, until I reached the opposite side.
Then I lowered my bit and made the second pass at 3/8″ deep.
I cleaned up the groove with my 2″ wide chisel.
After the first mortise was complete, I flipped the boards and repeated the process on the other side.
Laying the boards together, you can see how they create two mortises in each board.
Setting those aside, I grabbed the vertical boards that will set into these mortises, and started creating the tenons.
I clamped the board so that I could rout my way towards the end, then gradually added spacers, as I cut, until there was about 1-1/4″ left, uncut. This gave me a face for the router to rest on while I cut.
After repeating the process on the other end, I moved over to the table saw to finish cutting out the tenon.
Any uneven surfaces left behind was easily cleaned up with the block plane and a sanding block.
I lined everything up and clamped up a dry-fit of the two sides. Everything fit well, all of the joints were nice and tight.
I still need to do some more cutting, so I won’t be glueing things up just yet.