We are nearly finished with the sofa table. Last night we discussed finish options and decided on finishing all of the components before final assembly. I don’t usually do this, but it made sense in this case. We opted to brush on a couple of coats of polyurethane, and we felt there would be less chance of developing runs if there were fewer pieces for the finish to pool up on.
We split the work, and Rob took the main carcass. He started on the inside surfaces to get a feel for how the finish would go on, then worked his way around the outside. I started on the table top. I coated the bottom first then flipped it over onto some painter’s pyramids to do the top and sides last. The poly really deepens the color of the cherry and brings out a lot of detail in the grain.
To do the cross-pieces, I set up a quick drying rack with just a clamp and three pieces of scrap. I coated the bottoms of the cross-pieces first then sat that side on the rack to coat the rest. The pieces will not be visible so I don’t mind if a small line shows in the finish, from where it set on the rack.
I helped Rob flip the carcass onto some more pyramids so he could finish the legs.
I added a few 23 gauge pin nails to the bottoms of the drawers so they wouldn’t work their way loose over time, then we coated the drawers. I held the face while painting the bottom, sides, and rear.
Then we did the inside and the face while they sat on pyramids.
When they dry, I will give them a second coat, then Rob will come back later this week, for the final assembly, then he will take it home and set it up before the holidays.