I have been rather busy these last few weeks, and I haven’t put up many posts. I have also had a few projects that, for one reason or another, I haven’t been able to post. One of those projects was an engagement ring box that Rob made for his girlfriend Jen. He approached me a while back with an idea that he had for the box, but wanted me to not post anything until after the engagement.
I asked Rob to draw up what he wanted, so he generated the above sketch. I am limited to doing 3D models in the engineering software that I use at work, so my version was a bit less flowing than his, but it gave me a good starting point.
I softened the edges a bit more and imported the image into the Carvewright software.
We fired up the carver, and half an hour later, we had the lid to the ring box.
The next step was to start the rest of the box. I had a small piece of 6/4 cherry, that we cut down to 3″ wide and 3″ deep. Rob drilled out a 1-1/4″ hole in the center, about 1″ deep, then we attached the top piece with double-sided tape.
Rob cut out both pieces together, on the band saw.
He shifted over to the scroll saw to clean up some areas that were too rough from the band saw.
Then cleaned the rest up with the spindle sander.
Rob used my Dremel tool to sand all of the nooks and crannies.
We drilled a 1/4″ hole, off to one side, then cut a short piece of dowel to press into it as a pivot point instead of a hinge.
Before installing the dowel, I made a plate with two longer dowels, to use as a mount for the top and bottom, for finishing.
Rob applied several coats of Tung oil until he brought out the natural iridescence of the wood.
The box turned out really nicely, when all assembled.
Rob popped the question yesterday, in the middle of a corn maze.
Funny, I am not sure she ever looked at the box…