Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Tabernacle build – day 7

The new upper base is dry and marked, so I cut the circle out on the bandsaw.

Cutting the new upper base

Cutting the new upper base

I sanded the edges on the spindle sander, taking the edge down to the pencil mark.

Sanding the circle

Sanding the circle

I set the 3/4″ round-over bit back in the router and trimmed the top edge.

Cutting the round-over

Cutting the round-over

I sanded down both the upper and lower bases.

Sanding the bases

Sanding the bases

I did a dry-fit to make sure the columns fit as planned.

Columns fit better

Columns fit better

Then I realized that the outside dimensions of the columns was 14-1/2″ when measured across the top. The rim around the dome is only 14″. I really should have had a more detailed plan than a pencil sketch that took 30 seconds to draw…

Cutting the columns down further

Cutting the columns down further

I set the table saw blade at 10 degrees, and carefully ran the columns back through, taking off another 1/4″ so the columns would fit beneath the dome.

10 degree back-angle

10 degree back-angle

Its tight, but it worked.

Much better fit

Much better fit

Next step is to put the walnut bead around the columns.

Ripping the walnut to 5/16"

Ripping the walnut to 5/16″

To do this, I ripped a piece of walnut down to 5/16″ x 3/4″. I placed a 1/8″ round-over in the router table and rounded each outside edge.

Rounding over all four sides

Rounding over all four sides

When all four edges were round, I ripped the piece in half. This gave me two tiny pieces of trim.

Trim piece ripped in half

Trim piece ripped in half

In order to cut these tiny things, I created a sacrificial base and back board for the miter saw. Otherwise, the 3/4″ and smaller pieces I need will get shot off of the saw. Setting the miter saw angle to 22.5 degrees, I began cutting my tiny trim.

Chopping at a 22.5 degree angle

Chopping at a 22.5 degree angle

I clamped a spacer block in place and glued the first piece in place, then pinned it there to dry. When cutting the trim to length, I often had to tape down the short end, so the blade wouldn’t pick it up and throw it because it was so small.

Glueing and pinning the trim

Glueing and pinning the trim

My longer pieces are about 5/8″. The two shorter pieces are about 3/16″ long. To make micro adjustments, I sanded the angled face on 150 grit paper.

Minor adjustments

Minor adjustments

In the end, I did manage to install one of the bands, but it is nearly 1:00 AM and I am too tired for this detail work. I just wanted to make sure that it was possible.

First one done, seven to go...

First one done, seven to go…

 

2 comments on “Tabernacle build – day 7

  1. Herb Fogelberg
    April 5, 2014

    You are doing a very impressive job. You are doing a great job of showing each step in your construction process.

    I have a question for you if I may. The saw that is in the photos looks like a Saw Stop brand. Is it and if so, how do you like it?

    I have an old Ryobi BT-3000 table saw that the top is aluminum and doesn’t have the mitre gauge grooves. I am looking to replace it but table saws nowadays are not cheap so am taking my time checking out what is out there. Thanks for you time and for the great blog.

    Herb

  2. Lwroten
    April 5, 2014

    Thanks Herb. I love my SawStop cabinet saw. When my 1.75hp Jet contractor saw died, I splurged and got the 3hp cabinet saw. I couldn’t believe the difference. It has never bogged down, even cutting full depth into white oak and maple. I love the diving knife that moves with the blade. It has done everything that I have needed and then some. I have also used their contractor version. Not as nice as the 3hp for power, but still an excellent saw.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on April 4, 2014 by in Church projects, From the scrap bin..., Misc... and tagged , , .

Number of visitors

  • 130,625 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 90 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: