I only had a couple of hours to work this evening, so I took care of some small things. I measured and cut the spacers for the hidden door plate. I applied glue then pin nailed them in place.
Since the plate will be glued on, I won’t be able to finish inside the dome later. I want to apply a couple of coats of polyurethane to the interior spaces before the glue-up, so I used painter’s tape to mask off the areas that will need to be glued.
I applied a quick coat of poly to the required areas.
Next was the new upper base plate to replace the one that was too small. I made sure the panel was oversized this time.
I pulled some 1″ thick stock, with some pretty grain, to make my half columns. Since the columns will be mated to the rounded outside of the cabinet, I cut a 20 degree back-angle from each side, on the table saw, creating a void on the back face. Next I cut two 45 degree chamfers on the outside of the column, on the router table.
I think that they will ultimately be attached with glue on the top and bottom, and brad nails shot from the inside out. When I have more time and patience, I will cut the walnut bead that will wrap the top and bottom of the columns.