Just a quick post today. Adam and I both had some finishing to do, so we took a bit of time just before he had to go to bed.
Adam had a second coat of Tung oil to apply to his piggy bank. We simply poured a bit of Tung oil in a cup and he applied it with an old piece of tee shirt. We discovered that a scrap piece of leather works great at applying Tung oil in those hard to reach corners.
I had a couple of carvings that I made earlier. Yesterday I cut them down and rounded over the edges. I also applied the first coat of finish. Tonight I applied the second. I am using a Wiping poly blend. It is 1/2 polyurethane, 1/4 thinner, and 1/4 boiled linseed oil. This is actually left over from the benches I built a few months back. Adam laughed at me when I tried to open the jar. The lid was pretty much sealed in place. Since the jar was glass, I did not get too aggressive with it. Instead, I drove a common flat bladed screwdriver through the lid and poured the contents on my rag. This actually worked very nicely. When I was finished rubbing down the plaques, I merely put a piece of painter’s tape over the hole and the jar was sealed again.