While Adam was finishing up his schoolwork today, I prepped his piggy bank for finishing. I decided to put walnut plugs in the eye and nose holes. I found a 1/4″ thick piece of scrap walnut and drilled a few plugs with my plug cutter.
I bought a bottle of Nexabond in the vendor area at the conference last week. It is basically a super glue gel. I thought I would give it a try. I applied the glue to the pockets and pressed in the plugs.
About a minute later I cut them down flush with my small pull saw. The glue held very well. I was able to sand down the plugs and any excess glue easily within minutes of applying it.
After Adam finished his school work, he came down and applied the first coat of Tung oil to the piggy. He did a pretty good job of it. We will let it cure this evening and apply another couple of coats over the next couple of days until it builds up a nice gloss.
Once the finishing is done, all we will have to do is cut out some leather ears and attach them with some brass tacks.