So I put on a few finishing touches before delivery today. I drilled the base of the tabernacle stand so I could attach the columns from the bottom. I countersunk the holes so the heads would be recessed.
I attached the signature plates with a bit of glue and some pin nails.
I used a couple of cabinet screws to attach the columns to the top. They are in the back behind the columns, so they won’t be visible. Then I polished the finish by rubbing the whole thing down with a brown paper bag. It takes off the dust nibs, while leaving the surface shiny.
With the tabernacle stand complete, I move on to polishing the panels and the rest of the altar parts, then load them into the back of the Highlander. I would have put it all in my truck, but it was very humid out and it looked like rain, so I crammed it all in my wife’s car. It fit, but just barely.
I had some help carrying everything in.
Since the tabernacle stand was all assembled, it got installed first. Next we set the base down and I placed all of the columns, then the panels.
Once I got my helpers out of the way, I attached the panels to the columns and base with pocket hole screws.
We placed the top and I screwed it in place while others pressed down on it. It probably wouldn’t have moved, but I wanted to make sure.
Here is the relic chamber door, closed and latched, then opened with its magnetic key.
I still need to plug the pocket holes, but there was a little too much finish on the plugs and they wouldn’t press in easily. I will sand down the sides and install them at some later time… Outside of that, The altar is complete and delivered. On to the next project.