Church Altar and tabernacle stand – day 29
The wiping poly dries pretty quickly, especially when it was the first coat. I was able to squee an extra brush coat on the two tops last night. This morning, I sanded down the panels and the two tops, with 400 grit sand paper, to remove the dust nibs from last night.
Sanding down the altar top
Sanding down the side panels
Sanding down the front panels
While I was sanding, I had the Carvewright working on another small detail. I decided to add a signature to both pieces, so I am carving them onto a small plate that I will attach when everything is dry.
Brushing on the final coat
I decided to lay the panels down to apply the final coat. This will allow me to do a full un-thinned brush coat without having to worry about it running.
Adding a coat to the bottom of the altar base
Adding a coat to the bottom of the tabernacle base
I also applied a final brushed on coat to the tops as well. As I work, I look at the surface at an angle with the light across it. This helps me to see where I have missed a spot, or if any bristles have fallen from the brush into my finish. This project should be pretty much done after this coat dries. Hopefully I can deliver it this weekend…
Checking the final coat in the light