I pulled apart the dry-fit parts and started glueing this chair up today.
With everything clamped in place, I drilled the 3/8″ plug hole first, then the pilot hole for the screw next. Then, I came back with a larger bit and drilled a clearance hole for the screw threads in the legs.
I use 3″ wood screws for most of the assembly, and 1-1/4″ pocket hole screws to hold on the bottom stretchers.
The front legs do not quite finish out flush to the sculpted seat. The Freud sandpaper that I have for my orbital has been fairly useless at doing much more than final sanding so I took a trip to Lowes today and picked up some new stuff. Shopsmith has started making a new more durable ceramic sandpaper. I picked up several different grits to try out. I hit the leg tops and the left edge of the seat to try to even everything out.
The new paper worked great. In just a minute or two, I had everything blended down perfectly flush. I switched to a higher grit and finished it up.
Well, chair number one of this batch is assembled and ready for plugs. Hopefully, tomorrow, I will be able to get the plugs made and installed, then start on chair number two.