I had some help last night in the shop. Adam came down because I had to make the walnut plugs for the chairs. He likes that job because he gets to use some power tools.
I had him cut a couple dozen plugs, enough for both chairs. Then he went over to the band saw and sliced them free of the board.
Apparently everyone else was outside toasting marshmallows so I quickly lost my assistant, once the fun part was done…
To attach the plugs, I apply a thin film of wood glue to the inside of the hole with a Q-tip.
I then set the plugs with a hammer. I only broke off one. Luckily it sheared off just above the surface.
When I cut the excess off on the last chair, I used painter’s tape to protect the oak. This time, I tried cutting a notch into a thin strip of oak from my scrap pile. It worked really well. It left a slightly larger stump behind, but I scratched up less wood than the last time.
With that done, I hit each plug for a few seconds with the orbital sander to smooth them down.
Chair number two is now complete and ready for sanding.
I had some extra time this evening, so I started the assembly of the last chair. I won’t bore you with the details, you can scan back through the last month of posts if you want to see how to do it all again… The assembly went more smoothly on this last one. I knew where the problem areas would be and tweaked a few things that I had done on the last two. Tonight I hope to have the time to finish setting the screws and plugs so I can have them all finished by the end of the week.