Today I am working on the seats for the chairs. I started by creating a template so the curve of the scoop would be similar from one piece to the next. I did not lay the pattern out on the computer like I normally would. I want the curve to be a bit free-form. I think it gives the chairs a different look that I like. The walnut that is revealed when I cut out the scoop will probably be off-center and wiggly, but that’s what I want.
I cut the curves out on the bandsaw with the board standing on edge. The new saw blade works well. It is a lot better than the 1/4″ blade was.
After the seat boards are cut, I clean them up on the spindle sander. The blade cuts them fairly smooth, so not much sanding is required. I will have to sand them more once the seat boards are joined so I am mainly worried about taking down the high spots right now.
With all 8 seat pieces cut, I lay them out in the order they will be assembled. Since there are a couple with bad spots on the edge or corner, I make sure those are on the outside. Since the front and rear will have large curving edges, the bad corners will be removed. That done, I laid out the rear chair legs that I will be cutting out tomorrow. I made up the templates after I created the last chair. Having the templates really sped up the layout process. I normally won’t bother making them, but I had three chairs to make.