Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

St. Kilian chapel – Pastor chair, part 5

Just a quick post today to wrap up the Pastor chair. I picked up everything I think I need to create two cushion panels for the chair. I have to confess that I have never done upholstery before, but I found some useful information on YouTube. Specifically the “Fabric Farms Interiors” channel.

I started by cutting out the back panel from a sheet of 3/4″ plywood.

Since this panel will be attached directly to the back of the chair, I cut a 1/8″ recess all the way around for the fabric to be attached. This should keep the fabric below the mating surface.

Next, I used the panel as a template to mark my 2″ high density foam. Then I used a bread knife, in multiple slow passes, to cut the foam.

I marked some batting for the front and back of the foam, then attached it with spray glue.

I moved to a clean work table to cut and attach the fabric. Not sure of how much I would need, I left a lot of extra fabric to work with.

The first step was to line everything up, then lean on the board to crush the foam, and then place one staple in the center of each side.

Once that was done, pull the fabric at a 45° angle from the center and staple till about 3″ from the end. Being careful to keep even smooth lines along the foam.

Then I had to trim away a lot of the excess. It was just getting in the way.

The corners were next, carefully folding, trimming, and stapling.

The last thing was to pull the original four staples and replace them, this released a bit of tension in the fabric allowing it to even out along the edges.

The first panel slid into place perfectly so I pre-drilled four holes in the back panel and attached the cushion panel with four 1-1/4″ screws.

I think it turned out pretty good.

I repeated the process with the seat panel, but this time, I rounded the corners a little. Since this cushion would be exposed all the way around, I thought this might prevent wearing at the corners.

I jammed the seat cushion into place under the back cushion and attached it with four screws as well.

The high density foam seems to give a lot of support, and I don’t see too many pleats or wrinkles so I think I can call this effort a success.

Now I have a request for a Deacon’s chair that I will be working on this week.

Time to stop playing with fabric and get back into the shop…

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Number of visitors

  • 207,771 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 144 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: