Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Adam’s desk cabinet – day 2

It has taken me a week to get back into the shop. Been a busy winter.

 

IMG_3337 (1280x960)

With the main body of the cabinet done, I just need to make the doors. I started by cutting some oak down, roughly to length, then ripping it to width on the table saw.

IMG_3338 (1280x960)

I plan to split the raised door panel with a 1/2″ wide piece of walnut, so I ripped that down as well.

IMG_3341 (1280x960)

IMG_3342 (1280x960)

After planing down the panel pieces, as well as the door frames, I glued up the panels.

IMG_3343 (1280x960)

I have never tried making raised panels with a stripe down the center before, but Adam thought it would look nice, so we are giving it a try.

IMG_3344 (1280x960)

IMG_3345 (1280x960)

While those were drying, I set up my rail and style bits in my two big routers. I have some set-up blocks, that I made a while back. I have instructions written on them so I don’t have to remember how to set everything up. I don’t do raised panel doors that often, so leaving notes, on the blocks  really helps.

IMG_3350 (1280x960)

I did the end cuts first. That way, if there is tear-out, it may be cut away, when I cut the groove in the long side. I also clamped all the end cut boards together so there would be less chance for tear-out.

IMG_3351 (1280x960)

Then I cut all the long, inside grooves.

IMG_3352 (1280x960)

By now, the glue on the panels was dry enough to plane the boards flat and smooth.

IMG_3354 (1280x960)

I also set up the raised panel bit and cut all four sides of the panel, then sanded them smooth.

IMG_3356 (1280x960)

IMG_3357 (1280x960)

I applied glue to the ends of the short, horizontal pieces.

IMG_3358 (1280x960)

Then I cut some spacer foam to install in the groove that the panel will go into.

IMG_3359 (1280x960)

IMG_3360 (1280x960)

After I inserted the panel, I applied more glue and clamped it up.

IMG_3361 (1280x960)

Both panels are done and drying.

IMG_3362 (1280x960)

After about an hour, I pulled the clamps and sanded the faces at the joints.

IMG_3365 (1280x960)

IMG_3366 (1280x960)

I set up my door lip bit, in the router table, and cut three sides of the door. This bit under-cuts the side, to give you a place to grab, to open the doors. On the hinge side, I just did a 3/8″ round-over to match the radius of the other sides. This side is not under-cut, to leave room for the hinges.

IMG_3367 (1280x960)

As you can see in the picture below, the left is under-cut and the right is not.

IMG_3369 (1280x960)

IMG_3371 (1280x960)

Last step in construction is to drill out the hinge pockets.

IMG_3373 (1280x960)

IMG_3374 (1280x960)

Adam likes the natural tone of the wood, so we are trying some water-based polyacrylic finish from General Finishes.  I haven’t used it on a project before, so we will see how it goes. I disassembled the entire cabinet to try pre-finishing the project before the final glue-up. My shop is too cluttered, at the moment to set up a spray booth, so this should make brushing easier. I made sure to mark the areas where glue would need to be applied, and tried to avoid finishing them.

IMG_3375 (1280x960)

Well, the first coat is on, and the first few boards were nearly dry, by the time I finished the last piece. Hopefully, I will get a chance to finish the second coat tomorrow.

IMG_3377 (1280x960)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Number of visitors

  • 119,019 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 84 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: