Yesterday’s panels are cured, so I ran them through the planer, taking them down to 3/4″ thick.
I ran all of the boards through the table saw to take them down to the final width. Next, After squaring up one side on the miter saw, I clamped all of the boards together and cut them all to exactly the same length. The upper level of the desk is 17-1/2″ tall, so I made these boards 1/4″ longer than that.
I want a shelf located halfway between the counter tops on each side. I marked the location on the side piece then squared up a shelf in that spot. Holding the shelf in place, I traced a mark all the way around.
I clamped the board down with my T-square jig. It is a simple jig that you run the router against to create a straight line. The cool part is that you run your cut through part of the top of the square and you have a mark that shows you exactly where your next cut will be. I used a 1/4″ bit, so I moved the T-square over and made three successive cuts to create the 3/4″ wide stopped dado.
Next, I cleaned up the dado and squared off the stopped end with a chisel, and test fitted a shelf. After the successful test fit, I repeated the process on three other boards.
After making sure it was square and in the correct location, I held it in place with some brad nails. I also carefully shot nails in through the front panel into the backs of the shelves.
The glue, along the back will hold everything in place, but I didn’t glue it to the Formica. I ran a couple of pocket hole screws up from below to secure the bottoms.
After repeating the process on the left side, the shelves were installed.
I placed the upper counter top, and marked the locations the four vertical boards.
Tonight, when I have time, I will route out 1/4″ deep pockets to receive the verticals.