Well I managed to sneak in a few hours of shop time this weekend around Rob’s wedding. Enough time to finish the counter top anyway.
I realized that I forgot to add an additional rib above the side of the cabinet, so I took care of that, then applied glue to the top edge.
After locating the counter top, I screwed in the pocket hole screws through the holes I had in the top of the sides.
With the top in place and drying, I started cutting some 1-1/2″ wide strips of clear oak to band the edge of the counter top. I cut enough to wrap the top twice. You will see why in a bit.
I cut the strips a bit over-sized, then ganged them up to joint the edges on the planer.
I cut the miters on the ends, then glued and nailed the first layer of banding around the top.
It looks pretty good like that, but I don’t want people to have to deal with the sharp, square edges.
I put my 3/4″ round-over bit in the router table and ran the other half of my strips through twice, cutting a 1/4 radius each time to create a half-round piece of trim.
This will keep the edge smooth and comfortable to lean on.
I repeated the process of mitering, glue and nailing.
I created a small return piece to complete the trim at the middle of the front of the desk.
I think it turned out pretty nice.
I used a sanding block and my orbital sander to carefully sand around the edges of the top.
Both, the front and the side, end with an open edge that needs to be trimmed.
I opted to create an end cap instead of trying to return that three-layer molding. I cut a 3-1/8″ piece and created a full radius on one edge, then cut them down to fit the vertical edges on both sides.
I applied glue, then nailed on the end caps.
It seems to terminate the edges nicely.
Well, that is all that I had time for this weekend, I still need to trim the inside to cover all of the pocket hole screws, and I need to build the cabinet below and the shelves above as well as figure out what the upper counter top will look like. Lots to do this week…