I only had a couple of hours to work last night, so I made the shelves for the cabinets.
I had some 3/4″ oak plywood, so I ripped it down to 22″ . That will be the depth of the shelves plus the edge-banding. Since I have had problems with my plywood being square, I wanted to cut the shelves to length on something besides the table saw. I decided that my sliding miter saw would be worth a try. I cut more than half way through, then flipped the shelf over and lined up the blade with the previous cut. It worked well enough, though a bit awkward.
Next step was to set up the router to cut the female side of the edge-banding into the plywood.
After that, I cut some strips of oak and ran them through the opposing, male cutter, to create the edge piece.
I brushed glue into the groove, then set the edge piece in with a rubber mallet, then clamped the edge firmly in place to dry.
After a couple of hours, the glue was dry enough to run the shelf through the router, with the flush trim bit installed.
When all the shelves were trimmed flush, I cut a 1/4″ round-over on the top and bottom of the front edge of the shelf.
When the shelves were complete, I did a test fit in the cabinet boxes. The 3/4″ plywood is good for a strong shelf, but the 1-1/4″ deep piece of oak will add just a bit more strength to help resist sagging under a load.
The last thing to cut is a piece of crown moulding, then its time to spray some polyurethane. I need to clean my shop and set up my temporary spray booth this weekend.