Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Bed upgrade – day 6

I installed the receiving side of the rail fasteners on the posts a couple of days ago, so today I have to install the hook side on the side rails.

Laying out the rail ends

Laying out the rail ends

I started by marking the location of the fastener pockets, then I clamped additional supporting rails on either side. This is to stabilize the base of the router. I will be routing sideways, so the extra support will help a lot.

Cutting the pockets

Cutting the pockets

After routing out the pockets, I cleaned up the corners and edges with a chisel.

Cleaning up the cut

Cleaning up the cut

 

Marking the rear protrusions

Marking the rear protrusions

The hooks are pressed into the fastener plate with a nub of metal protruding through the back. I marked the locations of the nubs by holding the plate in place and smacking it gently with a hammer. This left a dent where I needed to create an additional recessed area. I simply drilled a series of 1/4″ deep holes in these areas and cleaned them up with a chisel.

Drilling out recesses

Drilling out recesses

 

Connectors attached

Connectors attached

With the plates screwed in place, I attached the rails to the bed.

Test fit successful

Test fit successful

Everything fit nicely, so I moved on to the support rails. I ripped some 6/4 pine down to 2″ wide on the table saw.

Cutting the frame support rails

Cutting the frame support rails

I determined how many slats I would be using to support the mattress and marked the location of the center of each of these on the rails. I set up a 3/4″ bit in my drill press and drilled a 1-1/4″ deep hole at each location.

Drilling out the dowel holes

Drilling out the dowel holes

To create the pegs, I found a piece of scrap and cut it down to 2″ wide, then cut a “V” in the center. This created a simple jig for cutting off 2″ long sections of dowel.

V-block jig for cutting dowel pegs

V-block jig for cutting dowel pegs

 

Chamfering the ends

Chamfering the ends

I sanded a small chamfer onto one end of each dowel. The chamfer will stick up to help make it easier for the bed slats to be dropped in place.

Pegs complete

Pegs complete

I applied glue to the sides of the holes with my finger and inserted each of the dowels and let them dry.

Glueing in the pegs

Glueing in the pegs

 

Glueing up the support rail

Glueing up the support rail

I applied glue to the side of the rail and clamped it flush to the bottom of the side rail.

Rails attached

Rails attached

After the glue had set for an hour or two, I pulled the clamps and flipped the rails over. I had a bit of glue squeeze-out, and the easiest way to remove it is to run a wide chisel along the joint before the glue completely dries. It just peels right off.

Removing glue squeeze-out

Removing glue squeeze-out

 

Staining the side rails

Staining the side rails

The final step for the day was to apply a coat of stain to the side rails.

Stained and drying

Stained and drying

Later this week, I will be working on the center support rail and the slats. After that, a couple of coats of urethane and it will be done.

One comment on “Bed upgrade – day 6

  1. Nick
    May 19, 2014

    Great Job !!! Looks super !!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Number of visitors

  • 119,019 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 84 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: