I decided to get the footboard stained since it is finished. I have no idea what color I need so I did some test pieces to see what I had. None were right, so I started mixing. I wound up combining three different colors to come up with something close.
I started applying my new mixture to the back side of the footboard.
The tone is close, but the grain of the plywood and my extensions are different than the veneer on the original bed. It absorbs differently giving me darker and lighter spots.
It is close enough for now. When I add the polyurethane, it will add a bit of a golden hue to the wood. I am hoping that will help it match better.
Since I already made extensions for the headboard, I need to make the panels now.
Once cut, I laid out the locations for the grooves and cut them on the table saw.
The panel won’t go all the way over to the post so I need to stop the retaining groove about 1-1/2″ from the end. I cut most of it on the table saw like the others, then cut out the square corner with a small chisel.
The dry-fit looks good so I started applying glue to the tenons.
I found it easier to attach the new material to the posts first, then apply glue to the original headboard tenons and put it all together.
I nailed it together with the help of my younger son. He held one side while I beat the other side with a rubber mallet, tightening everything up.
I neglected to pre-cut the notches in my cross beam ahead of time. I only have about ten minutes or so before the glue starts to set, so I need to get the beam on to prevent the headboard from sagging. Hurrying the process wasn’t a good idea. My saw slipped and sawed a bit of the way into my finger. I quickly cleaned it up and super glued it back together. I didn’t make the same mistake cutting out the other end…
I glued and clamped up the brace while everything was still flexible, Then I nailed it in place. Everything is stiff and stable now.
I applied the stain to all the new material and a few nicks and scratches on the headboard.
Setting the headboard aside, I pulled out the 1″ x 11″ pine boards that I got for the sides of the bed.
I planed off any saw marks and cut them down to 80″ long.
I will be attaching a heavy bottom rail to one edge so I routed a 1/4″ radius on the other three edges. I hope to get the side rails done tomorrow, then all that I have left will be the supporting frame below.