Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Altar cloth and storage cabinets – day 15

Today I am finally ready to start spraying finish on these cabinets. I pulled out the drawers and removed all of the slides.

Lower cabinet, shelves, & drawers

Lower cabinet, shelves, & drawers

With a little creative balancing, I squeezed most of the parts into the right side of my shop. I set up my temporary spray booth by hanging 100′ of plastic sheeting from the floor joists above, with spring clamps.

Upper cabinet

Upper cabinet

I flipped the top rails, of my knock-down work station, and applied some painter’s tape to the bottom edge. My intent is to spray half of the drawer and then flip them and finish spraying the other side. The side that will be sitting on the tape will be the side that faces the wall. The tape will prevent the finish from sticking to the rails.

Using the rails from my workbench

Using the rails from my workbench

Starting in the rear

Starting in the rear

My Earlex sprayer applies a nice, even coat, but I start on the back of the upper cabinet to make sure it is set up correctly. I am also wearing an old shirt, respirator, and a hat. The over-spray floats around and clings to everything. I cover up so I don’t have to feel like I am covered in hair spray…

Spraying the drawers

Spraying the drawers

Lower cabinet and shelves sprayed

Lower cabinet and shelves sprayed

I went through one entire quart of polyurethane, applying the first coat.

Drawers sprayed

Drawers sprayed

I had intended to finish coating the doors with a brush, outside the booth, but there was a little floor space left, and the sprayer is so much faster. I brought them in and set them up on the floor. Two minutes later, they were coated as well.

Upper cabinet sprayed

Upper cabinet sprayed

First coat on the spindles

First coat on the spindles

The only parts that wouldn’t fit in the spray booth were my spindles. I actually prefer to use a foam brush on them. Trying to spray inside the spindles would have wasted a butt-load of urethane anyway. I clamped two pieces of scrap to my bench to use as supports, then just rolled the finished spindle back out of the way, to start on the next one.

Spindles done

Spindles done

Just one more day of spraying and everything will be done. I am still waiting on some custom pieces of crown, for the top of my storage cabinet. That should be done by this weekend, so I hope to deliver next week.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on March 12, 2014 by in Church projects, furniture and tagged , , , .

Number of visitors

  • 123,297 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 85 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: