I only had an hour or two to work yesterday, so I decided to glue up my drawer faces.
Step one was to cull through my pile of wood to find five matching pairs of boards. Some people like chaotic grains and colors, I prefer to have everything match as closely as possible. My boards range from 4″ wide to 7″. The drawer faces will be 8″ wide total. I rip all of my pieces down to 4″ wide, so they will be split right down the middle of the panel when joined.
Since I have a limited number of clamps, I will be gang clamping two sets of faces at a time.
One of my boards had a rather significant crack that I couldn’t avoid. I used a chisel to force the crack wider then applied a piece of painter’s tape to the back (to catch glue squeeze-out). I forced some glue down into the crack, then removed the chisel. I proceeded to clamp this face up just like the rest. It should be invisible once the face has been planed.
I should have some time this evening to pull the clamps and plane the faces down.