Midnight Woodworking


Altar cloth and storage cabinets – day 1

I am starting another project this weekend. Two more cabinets for Saint Joseph’s in Emmitsburg, MD, to match the large storage cabinet that I finished last month. These two cabinets will be stacked. The bottom cabinet will contain drawers with spindles, that will hold the altar cloths. The top cabinet will be for storage. Here are the plans that I have so far:

Altar cloth & storage cabinets.pdf

I picked up the plywood, for this project, yesterday, so today I am breaking it down. I won’t be using the full board, so I will start by cutting them all to length. I set up my knock-down workstation, then laid one of the 3/4″ plywood sheets on it, to give me a full-sized table to work from. Next, I laid the 2″ foam, that I bought for cutting plywood, on top of the 3/4″ board. Now I have a stable surface for cutting down the thinner sheets of plywood.

Setting up to cut

Setting up to cut

I placed one of the 1/4″ sheets on top and marked my cut line. I put an old piece of peg board down on the line, and clamped down my straight edge, so the circular saw blade would cut right along the edge of the hardboard. The board prevents the blade from pulling up splinters on my finished side. The straight edge gives my saw a guide edge to run along.

Reducing tear-out

Reducing tear-out

One thing that I learned on the last cabinet was that the white oak plywood, that I get, is over-sized, and not always square. I assume that they worry that the edges will get busted up, so they give you 1/2″ extra to make up for it. That also means that they don’t have to be as precise with the squareness of the edges. Since you can get a perfectly square 48″x96″ piece from the board.

Plywood isn't always square

Plywood isn’t always square

I took this into account when laying out my dimensions. If it is a critical dimension, make sure the board is square.

Plywood cut to length

Plywood cut to length

After cutting everything to length, I moved over to the table saw, and cut all of the shortened sheets into the widths that will be required. You may notice, in the plans, that the two shelf boards actually fell a bit short. I decided to make up the missing half inch with a thick edge banding, rather than buy another $120 sheet of plywood for just two shelves. This saves the client a bit of money, and it prevents a good deal of waste.

Ripping the width on the table saw

Ripping the width on the table saw


All sheets cut to width

All sheets cut to width

All of my shelves, sides, tops, bottoms, and backs are now cut to size. I am waiting on the oak that I ordered. Hopefully I will be able to acquire it this week and keep rolling through this project.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


This entry was posted on January 19, 2014 by in Church projects, furniture, plans and tagged , , .

Number of visitors

  • 274,299 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 185 other subscribers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: