I applied two more coats of Tung oil today, I left 6-8 hours between each coat. I wouldn’t mind adding another coat or two, but I used the last of my Tung oil on the third coat, and I plan on delivering the display tomorrow.
After the third coat was applied, I took a few pictures of the quarter-sawn pieces. The tiger striping really pops out with the oil applied.
After the parts were dry, I peeled the film off of the Lexan panels and assembled all of the frames. The end caps are all fairly close with hole locations, but I marked the ends as well as the inside track of the rails with corresponding numbers, to make sure I placed the same caps on the same rails each time, to insure the best fit. Since this is oak, and oak can be very porous, I made sure that all of the pieces are assembled by hand, over-torqueing these screws could split the wood.
After fully assembling the display, I gave the frames a test spin to make sure that they spun freely. Since I drilled the holes slightly over-sized, the finish did not interfere with movement. There is also enough clearance with the 1/4″ gap between each frame, that they will never touch, even when they are spinning.
My friend sent me a shot of the display with all of the coin slots filled. I think it looks pretty good.