Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Oak storage cabinet – day 4

Before I start assembling the side panels, I need to rout in the grooves for the adjustable shelf standards. I have an adjustable guide for my Hitachi router, so I attached it, and added an extended face to keep the guide steady against the edge.

Setting up the router

Setting up the router

After a test run on a small piece of plywood, and a few adjustments, I loaded the 1/2″ bit and started cutting.

Routing the first slot

Routing the first slot

The standard is 5/8″ wide, so I placed a mark on the gauge and slid it forward  1/8″, and marked that as well. By moving it forward and cutting along the same edge again, I increased my dado from 1/2″ to 5/8″.  After the test fit, I repeated the process on the other side of the same board, then on to the other sheet of plywood that will be the opposing side of the cabinet.

Perfect fit

Perfect fit

Both sides finished

Both sides finished

With those done, I placed the rear piece of plywood on the work stand and clamped down two straight edges to act as guides for cutting the 5/8″ groove in the center.

Cutting the center groove on the back

Cutting the center groove on the back

Drilling pocket holes

Drilling pocket holes

Since this cabinet will be built in pieces and assembled later, my corners are designed to accept the sides later and be attached to them with pocket screws. I have to drill those screw holes now though, before the corner is glued up. I placed a hole about every 10″ on the 2-1/2″ wide pieces.

First two boards done

First two boards done

I also decided to put pocket holes in my 3-1/4″ pieces that will go on the sides of the front corners. These boards were glued and screwed to the front corner pieces. I originally intended to just clamp them, but I wanted to get the corners assembled without waiting for the glue to dry.

Assembling the front corners

Assembling the front corners

Clamping in a spacer

Clamping in a spacer

After those were assembled, I placed a 3/4″ spacer against the side and clamped in a 4″ spacer block to the top and bottom to leave space for my horizontal cross pieces and glued and nailed the 2-1/2″ pieces in place. Once nailed, I pulled the clamps and left both corners to dry over night.

First front corner assembled

First front corner assembled

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on November 23, 2013 by in Church projects, furniture and tagged , , .

Number of visitors

  • 119,024 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 84 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: