Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Maple and walnut blanket chests – day 2

I had a chance to work on the chests last night. I pulled the tape off of the epoxied boards, most of it came off…

Cured epoxy

Cured epoxy

After running the large panels through the planer, the only thing left of the epoxy was the filler in the knots. Now the knots are smooth and stabilized. It dries clear, so the epoxy will not be visible when the board is finished.

Epoxied knots, planed down

Epoxied knots, planed down

Cleaning up the glue joint

Cleaning up the glue joint

I pulled the clamps on the 14″ wide panel and removed the painter’s tape. There was a tiny bit of glue left to clean up, as well as a slight shift in the wood. I used a smoothing plane to clean up the joint and finished it up with a card scraper where the grain of the wood was being difficult.

Touch up with the card scraper

Touch up with the card scraper

All in all, the joint looks pretty good. I will cut these boards down to the final panel size later. Time to move on to the maple.

Not a bad joint

Not a bad joint

Cutting down the maple

Cutting down the maple

All of the maple boards, that I have, are 9′ to 10′ long, so the first step is to cut them all down to the approximate length required. I started with the large panels that will make up the bottom of the chests. I ripped three boards down to about 6″ wide for each panel. This will give me a panel that is a little too wide, but I can cut them down later.

Ripping down the bottom panel parts

Ripping down the bottom panel parts

Planing them down to 1"

Planing them down to 1″

All of the maple is about 1-1/16″ thick. I planed the boards for the bottom panels down to 1″ and spread some glue onto the edges.

Spreading the glue

Spreading the glue

I set both panels together and clamped them up to dry. I set them out of the way and went back to rough cutting the rest of the maple boards.

Clamping up the panels

Clamping up the panels

Ripping down the 3" wide parts

Ripping down the 3″ wide parts

I started with the 3″ wide stock, cutting and ripping it down to the exact width and the approximate length. I will need to resaw and plane most of these boards down to 3/4″  to create the raised panels and the frame-work to hold them.

My carefully thought-out plans...

My carefully thought-out plans…

Working from my highly detailed sketch (above…) I proceeded to also cut the 4″ and 5″ parts to a rough length. After looking at the pile of stuff that I have to rip and resaw, I decided to call it a night. Hopefully I will be able to get that done today, and glue up the rest of the panels.

4" & 5" parts to be ripped down

4″ & 5″ parts to be ripped down

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on October 30, 2013 by in Church projects, furniture and tagged , , , .

Number of visitors

  • 125,429 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 87 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: