Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Church Altar and tabernacle stand – day 9

Almost done the top surface of this thing. I pulled the clamps to see how the inlays turned out.

Clamps removed

Clamps removed

Leveling the surface

Leveling the surface

Not bad, a little glue squeeze-out here and there, and some of the crosses were slightly taller than the oak due to the mildly excessive amount of glue that I used. I started rectifying these problems with my low angle block plane. I used it to level the surface then moved to my card scraper to finish the job and remove any glue.

Scraping off glue squeeze-out

Scraping off glue squeeze-out

Sanding down the crosses

Sanding down the crosses

After running the sander over the crosses, I took a close look to see how much patching I would need to do to hide the gaps…

Small gaps

Small gaps

Filling the gaps

Filling the gaps

I mixed up another couple blobs of wood filler and went crazy. Once I filled in the larger gaps, the other day, I started noticing all of the smaller ones. I filled those as well as the gaps around the crosses.

Filled and drying

Filled and drying

I am going to have a lot of scraping to do tomorrow…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on August 29, 2013 by in Church projects and tagged , , , , , .

Number of visitors

  • 123,297 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 85 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: