I am just about finished with this chair. Just a few more things to tidy up. I start by removing the ends of the tapers on the rungs that stick past the legs.
Then I got out my orbital finish sander and worked my way down from 80 grit to 220.
While I was sanding, I discovered something new. When the vacuum is attached to the sander, don’t sit the sander face down and inhibit the flow of air for any great length of time. The flimsy bucket attached to your Dust Deputy will implode. No real harm done, I replaced the bucket with a stronger one and laid the sander on its side instead…
I was also visited by a strange alien looking creature. Adam has been as busy as I have this summer and hasn’t been down in the shop much, but he stopped in today to work on a project.
Anyway, back to work. When the dust died down, I got set up to start finishing my oak parts.
I set up a quick jig to support the legs without interfering with the finishing process. With a screw slightly tapped into each end in a non-visible location, I can spin the legs as I Urethane them.
I supported the back rails and the arms on painter’s pyramids so I could urethane both sides at once.
I have a slightly different method for supporting the rungs. I crisscross two 4 penny finish nails and lay the tapered ends of the spindles on them. The tapers will be buried into the legs, so I don’t care if there are any marks left behind by the nails.