Well the prototype pub chair seems to have been acceptable to the family so I have at least two more to build. Hopefully these two will go faster than the first. I have learned a few things that I hope to implement this time around.
The first thing I did was create templates of the curvy pieces. I also salvaged a few left-over chunks from the last chair that will be usable on these two. Then I pulled some more wood from my pile of quarter-sawn white oak. Making sure, this time, not to pull any grey pieces.
After ripping my boards down to the rough width, I started resawing the boards on the table saw. I could just plane them down, but I have other projects in mind that could use 1/4″ thick oak pieces, so I will resaw and save as much material as possible. I saw them down to 3/4″ thick. Ultimately I will need 5/8″, but this will allow me to take two or three passes through the planer.
The really wide boards are started on the table saw, but then finished on the band saw.
I have a fairly large pile to plane down, but they are all the same thickness, so I can run them all at once.
Hopefully I will have time tomorrow to cut down the walnut.