Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Pub chairs – day eight

It occurred to me that the people from wood magazine may not have measured my kitchen counters when they put the plans for this chair into their magazine. I thought it might be a good idea to bring the stool upstairs and set it at the counter, just to test the height. I am glad that I did. My existing stools are a good 8″ shorter.

Huh, too tall...

Huh, too tall…

I decided that they needed to be at least 6″ shorter to be comfortable. The plans call for me to take an inch off the back legs to tilt the chair back a bit, so I cut a block at 6″ and one at 7″. I set the chair on my table saw. This is the flattest surface in my house… I marked the front legs at 6″ and the rear at 7″.

Marking the legs for cutting

Marking the legs for cutting

I broke down the chair so that I could cut the legs.

Disassembly

Disassembly

The front legs are straight so I cut them down on the chop saw. The back legs are at an angle, they got cut down on the bandsaw.

Cutting down the legs

Cutting down the legs

I glued and reassembled the front leg assembly.

Glueing of the front leg assembly

Glueing of the front leg assembly

I also took the time to finish sand all of the individual pieces while they were all separated.

Finish sanding

Finish sanding

Sanded, glued, and reassembled

Sanded, glued, and reassembled

With the chair glued and put back together, I carried it back upstairs. It fit much better at the counter.

Just the right height

Just the right height

Adam drilling the walnut plugs

Adam drilling the walnut plugs

The last thing to do is cut the plugs and install them. I subcontracted the job to my assistant Adam.

Adam cutting out the plugs

Adam cutting out the plugs

After Adam got tired of helping me, I started the plug installation. I started using a rubber mallet, but after breaking the first two plugs, I switched to my regular hammer. No more broken plugs.

Plug installation

Plug installation

Cutting the plugs down

Cutting the plugs down

With a little painter’s tape on either side of the plug, to protect the wood, I cut off the excess plug material.

Plugs cut

Plugs cut

A quick hit with the orbital sander and all the plugs were sanded flush.

Plugs sanded

Plugs sanded

Done and ready for finish tomorrow.

Done and ready for finish

Done and ready for finish

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on April 20, 2013 by in furniture and tagged , , .

Number of visitors

  • 129,289 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 88 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: