It has been a few days since I worked on this cabinet. I finally have the new table saw up and running so I could cut down the door panel to a size that would fit through my planer. Over the last couple days I have been planing and scraping the glue joints on the wider panels. I glued them up last weekend when I wasn’t feeling well, and I didn’t do as good of a job as I normally do. The joints required a lot of clean up. I spent some time sanding all of the panels down smooth. they look much nicer without all that glue…
After sanding, I ripped a half inch or so off of either side of the door panel.
I could then fit it in my planer, so I ran it through. The panel isn’t quite 3/4″ any more, but it should work just fine.
Now that I have all the big pieces ready, I can begin assembling the cabinet. Hopefully I will have time tomorrow to put it together. I don’t think I will need to assemble this one with dados. Glueing, a few brad nails, and a few pocket screws should do the trick. I am going to put a few shelves inside, I intend to mount a ceramic tile to one shelf. This should act as a hot plate if the iron is returned to the cabinet while still hot.