Well, I hadn’t really planned how the glass would be held in place yet. After thinking about it for a bit, I decided to route a 1/8″ groove down the two sides and the bottom.
I cut 1/8″ off of the back of the top so the glass could slide in.
Then made a 1/8″ piece that would slide into the grooves and be held in place with a single screw. This piece will keep the glass in place.
Next I installed the hinges on the box. I butted them up to a board that I ran parallel to the side of the box. This kept them lined up.
I placed two strips of double-sided tape on the hinges and centered the frame over the box. The double-sided tape held the frame in place so that I could drill the pilot holes and get a couple of screws on to hold everything together. After testing to see if it would close properly, I ran a knife along the side of the hinges to mark the mortise locations in the frame.
With the mortises located, I used a 3/4″ forstner bit to hog out most of the material.
I used my chisel to cut in the square corners then clean the pocket out.
I reinstalled the screws for the hinges and tested it out.
With that finished, I needed something to hold the book in place.
I decided on a couple pieces of walnut with ears sticking up to catch the corners of the book.
I cut away the small waste piece by hand and sanded the ear.
Using the book, I centered and located the retainers.
I decided to put a 1/4″ round-over on the inside and outside edge of the frame. This was most accurately and safetly attained on the router table. Freehanding the router on such a narrow piece would have been a little wobbly.
With the book retainers glued in place then held with a couple 3/4″ pins, I sanded everything down smooth.
I applied the first coat of polyurethane, then left it to dry over night.