Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Screw gun storage/charging station

At first glance, you may think that my workbench is a disorganized mess. You, of course would be wrong. It is a completely organized mess. I honestly do know where everything is, I just don’t know where else to put it. I want to expand my shop, but until I can, I need to reclaim some space. Today, I am going to start with my screw gun collection. And, yes, I really do need eight of them…

This corner, on the right end of the bench, is where I keep all of my bits and saw blades. I think it would be a good location for some kind of storage rack that could hold all of the guns as well as the chargers.

If I raise it up off of the bench, I should be able to locate my bits below it. If you think this is bad, you should see my router bit collection…

I sketched up what I needed on a large note pad and took dimensions of all of my screw guns. Then I moved to the computer and came up with a plan. This is what I came up with:

screw gun caddy.pdf

Another mess that I hope to clean up a bit is my scrap plywood area. This will be my source of materials. Since it is a shop project, I really don’t care if the materials match. I have about six different kinds of plywood back in this stack.

I am going to start with the back piece, since it is the largest.

To keep the edges clean and square, I will use my cross-cut sled.

Once this piece is cut square, I can cut it down to the proper width.

I chose a lovely piece of 1/2″ white oak plywood that is made up of quite a few layers with almost no voids. It was rather expensive and I have been saving it for probably 5-6 years because I didn’t want to waste it, but I am sick of storing it. It will make a very rigid back to start with.

Since this is a charging station as well, I am locating it near a receptacle. Actually the receptacle is kind of in the way, so I have to cut a hole to access it. I marked the location, then traced a plate of the same size as the one on the wall.

I added about 1/8″ around the outside of the plate for my cut line. Since the plate’s corners are round, I drilled a 1/2″ hole in each corner.

I used my jigsaw to cut away the waste in the middle.

Then I did a test fit to make sure I got it right.

Next, I laid out the grooves for the screw gun shelf. I will cut a “U” shape that is 1-1/2″ wide for each of the guns. This is an average that should work for all seven of the pistol-grip style guns. The longer angle-head gun will sit in a hole on the side. The bottom of the “U” will be drilled out with a forstner bit.

Then it will be finished with the band saw. Once all seven slots are cut, I use my spindle sander to clean them up.

I don’t have a 2-1/2″ hole saw so I use a jigsaw to cut the round holder.

It is a little rough, so I clean it up with the spindle sander as well.

There are two side pieces that require a dado. After making the first cut, I thought I would be clever and use a piece of 3/4″ plywood as a spacer to set the far side of the dado.

That was kind of stupid. I forgot to account for the blade width.

Luckily this is a shop project and I can just cut a 1/8″ wide strip and glue it in place, to fill the gap.

A few swipes with the block plane and the dado is fixed.

Not attractive as I prefer, but acceptable.

After cutting everything out, I did a dry-fit to check dimensions.

Then, with glue and brad nails, I start assembling components.

I find it easier to make up small sub-assemblies first.

It makes it easier to access attachment points that the nail gun would not fit into if I worked from the bottom up.

I used a support block and a level to hold the rack in place while I screwed it to the wall. It does not have to be level, but I do want it to look good.

Perfect fit for all of my guns. There is room for three or four different chargers on top and a small shelf to hold my extra batteries. There is about 7″ below the shelf to organize all of my drill bits.

I also intend to add a power strip to the bottom of the cabinet above so that I can plug in all of the chargers at the same time, then turn them all on or off with the same switch.

This was a fun little project and it did clean up some of my scrap. I will continue working on organizing the workbench, but I don’t expect that to be done as quickly…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Information

This entry was posted on November 11, 2020 by in From the scrap bin..., Misc..., plans, Tool and tagged , , , , .

Number of visitors

  • 207,880 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 145 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: