I gave the body of the guitar, and all the wooden hardware, four coats of low-gloss Tung oil, then let it sit for 24 hours. Yesterday morning I applied a coat of past wax before heading off to work.
When I got home from work, I rubbed everything down and started installing the hardware.
Once the hardware was in place, I wired up all of the components.
When I started stringing the guitar, I noticed a small problem. The strings were too high at the base of the neck. I don’t play guitar, but from what I understand, the lower the “action” the better.
Since the tailpiece was as low as it could go, I decided to lower it further by creating a couple of counter-bores for the mounting studs.
I brushed on a coat of Tung oil just so the raw wood wouldn’t stand out.
I gently set the studs back in place and reset the tailpiece. Now the body of the tailpiece is nearly down to the surface of the guitar
After wiring it back up, the action was a lot lower. I let my son, Ian, tune it and put it through its paces.
I shot a couple short videos of him playing.
I believe the first one is with the guitar switched to the neck pickup.
I believe the second one is the middle, single coil, and the humbucker at the bridge position. Ian thought is sounded great and it balanced perfectly from the strap.
I even made sure that it would sit in a stand. Here are a few shots of it complete. Maybe one day I will even learn how to play one…