Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Bed upgrade – day 1

I have a new challenge on my shop floor this week. A friend of mine asked me to upsize a headboard and footboard from a queen to a king. They also need matching side rails and a support frame.  I picked up the head and footboards a couple of days ago, and I have been contemplating exactly how to do this.

Queen size footboard

Queen size footboard

The first step is to see how this thing was put together, then pull it apart again.

Pulling the screws

Pulling the screws

I started with the footboard. There were triangular blocks, glued and nailed over the mortises. The glue was no longer bonded to the wood, so the gussets came off fairly easily. Beneath them were wood screws, toenailed through the mortises.

One side down

One side down

After removing the blocks and screws from both sides, the footboard separated easily from the posts. I don’t know what king of glue was originally used in the assembly, but it no longer held anything together.

Footboard disassembled

Footboard disassembled

 

Removing the gussets from the headboard

Removing the gussets from the headboard

I moved the footboard to one side, and laid the headboard on my piece of foam. I repeated the process, using an old chisel to separate the gussets from the headboard. Once the screws were pulled, I only needed a few whacks with a rubber mallet to loosen the posts

Headboard disassembled

Headboard disassembled

I stopped by my buddy Dave’s and picked up some pine and poplar for this project. Since I don’t know exactly what I will need yet, I grabbed enough to get started. 6/4 pine for the head and footboard extensions, 5/4 pine for the side rails, and 4/4 poplar for the frame.

Pine and poplar

Pine and poplar

 

Cutting some extensions

Cutting some extensions

I decided to start with extending the footboard. I have a few ideas on how, but I figured I would start with the most basic one and see what it looked like. I calculated that I will need to add 9-1/4″ to each side of the head and footboard to make it wide enough for a king size mattress. The footboard is made primarily from 1″ thick material, so I decided to make my extensions from 6/4.

Ripping to the proper width

Ripping to the proper width

I cut two blocks long enough to make a 1″ tenon on the post side. I sized them to be 1/4″ larger, all the way around, where they will attach to the existing tenon.

Visualizing the extensions

Visualizing the extensions

 

Marking the mortises

Marking the mortises

I used a marking gauge to layout the mortise to accommodate the existing tenons.

Mortises ready to be cut

Mortises ready to be cut

Its running late, so I am going to knock off here for the evening. Hopefully I will be able to cut these out tomorrow and see what it looks like dry-fit.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on May 8, 2014 by in furniture and tagged , , .

Number of visitors

  • 130,689 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 90 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: