Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Altar cloth and storage cabinets – day 13

The shelf standards are 4″ shorter than the sides of the cabinet. I want to locate them at the top of my  2″ base piece, so I cut a 2″ long block and clamped it flush to the bottom of the cabinet. Starting the standard at this point, I Install it with some 1/2″ long #6 wood screws. I repeated this on the front center support as well as the rear panel.

Locating and attaching shelf standards

Locating and attaching shelf standards

I set the sides up in my pocket hole jig to give me some attachment points to the face frame. I placed two pocket holes in the front edge of the sides.

Drilling pocket holes in the sides

Drilling pocket holes in the sides

I clamped the sides to the base and ran screws from inside of the base.

Attaching the sides to the base

Attaching the sides to the base

I attached the sides to the top, from the outside, with counter-sunk wood screws.

Attaching the top

Attaching the top

I also countersunk the holes in the rear panel to attach it. I made sure to hold the cabinet square as it was attached.

Attaching the back panel

Attaching the back panel

Cabinet body assembled

Cabinet body assembled

Once the body of the cabinet was assembled, I flipped my knock-down workstation around to the narrow side and placed the cabinet on top. This clears my workbench so I can assemble the face frame.

Cutting face frame pieces to length

Cutting face frame pieces to length

I milled all of the remaining trim pieces a week or two ago, so I started by cutting all of the face frame pieces to length.

Drilling pocket holes in frame

Drilling pocket holes in frame

I drilled pocket holes in the center support and the horizontal pieces.

Sanding down frame pieces

Sanding down frame pieces

I sanded all of the frame pieces down, and clamped them to the table to assemble everything with pocket hole screws.

Assembling the frame

Assembling the frame

To clamp the middle support, I added another board below and clamped the whole assembly together, making sure the support was dead center.

Creative clamping for the tee section

Creative clamping for the tee section

Clamping the face on

Clamping the face on

Once the frame was assembled, I clamped it in place, and attached the pocket hole screws from the sides.

Attaching the face to the sides

Attaching the face to the sides

Attaching the face to the base

Attaching the face to the base

The knock-down work bench was perfect for this assembly because it is completely open on the bottom. I was able to attach the screws through the base to the face without laying the cabinet down.

Face frame attached

Face frame attached

Once the frame was installed, I cut down the trim pieces for the sides.

Cutting the trim pieces to length

Cutting the trim pieces to length

Applying glue

Applying glue

After applying glue, I clamped the 3-1/4″ vertical piece on and attached it with brad nails from inside the cabinet.

Attaching the trim from the inside

Attaching the trim from the inside

I repeated this for all of the trim on both sides.

Cabinet all trimmed

Cabinet all trimmed

I am down to the doors and shelves. I should have them done by Saturday and be able to start applying the polyurethane finish.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on March 6, 2014 by in Church projects, furniture and tagged , , .

Number of visitors

  • 119,024 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 84 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: