Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Altar cloth and storage cabinets – day 10

I am closing in on finishing this cabinet. I gathered up all of the trim, that I milled for the sides, a couple of days ago. I sanded all of the exposed surfaces. It is way easier to sand it all individually, than sanding it all assembled.

Sanding the trim

Sanding the trim

Once sanded, I took all of my vertical pieces over to the miter saw and cut them to length.

Cutting to length

Cutting to length

Applying glue

Applying glue

I applied glue to the trim piece that butted up against the face frame, then clamped it to the cabinet and the face.

Thoroughly clamping on the trim

Thoroughly clamping on the trim

I attached it by nailing it on from the inside.

Nailing it on from the inside

Nailing it on from the inside

After the first piece was attached, I repeated the process all the way around the side.

Right side done

Right side done

After doing the trim on the opposite side, as well, I lined up and attached the top through the pocket holes.

Attaching the top

Attaching the top

I trimmed my piece of 1/2″ plywood to fit the rear exactly between the two pieces of trim that extended 1/2″ past the sides. I drilled and countersunk some holes so that the wood screws, that I attached the panel with, would sit flush.

Attaching the back

Attaching the back

Trim, top, and back installed

Trim, top, and back installed

My face frame was deliberately created to be slightly over-sized. This was to make sure the side trim did not stick past the front edges. The trim was easily planed down with my jack plane, then I sanded the trim flush to the sides. It would have been smarter not to have assembled the top first, but it was removable, so no big deal…

Planing the front edge flush

Planing the front edge flush

Once that was finished, I attached the cove trim to the underside of the top. I made sure to nail the side trim to the side, and the front piece of trim to the face frame only. This cabinet has gotten really heavy, so I designed it to be disassembled if needed. If I cannot find an assistant to help with delivery, I will need to do it myself, in pieces…

Attaching the cove trim

Attaching the cove trim

Everything is assembled and the drawers still operate smoothly. The only thing left to build are the drawer faces.

Everything assembled but the drawer faces

Everything assembled but the drawer faces

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on February 26, 2014 by in Church projects, furniture and tagged , , .

Number of visitors

  • 123,297 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 85 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: