Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

My Redesigned Roorkhee chair – day 2

I made some progress yesterday. I started out by laying out the rails for the seat back. The material that I will be using will be 5/8″ wide, so I planed down a piece of 3/4″ stock.

Planing down some stock

Planing down some stock

Laying out the back rails

Laying out the back rails

I started with the original 20-1/2″ rails and added about 6″ curving it at the top for a head/neck rest. With the first one layed out, I proceeded to cut it out on the band saw, then sand it down on my spindle sander.

Cutting the first one

Cutting the first one

Using the first as a pattern

Using the first as a pattern

Cut and sanded, the first rail then became the pattern for the second. After the second one was sanded to match the first, I clamped them together and drilled out the pivot hole. The pivot hole is no longer anywhere near the center of the back so I expect the back to be very top-heavy. I will eventually be adding some kind of weights to the bottom of the rails to counter-balance the back, but that will come later.

Drilling out the pivot point

Drilling out the pivot point

Laying out and cutting

Laying out and cutting

With the wooden frame all roughed out, minus the arms, it is time to move on to the fabric for the chair. I started with my original pattern from the leather version of this chair, and made a few modifications. I decided to get rid of the buckles because I don’t expect the fabric to stretch as much. I attached the pattern that I will be using here:

roorkhee fabric Layout.PDF

I Purchased 2 yards of duck cloth from a local fabric store. The dimensions were 60″x72″, Just large enough that I can double up the material and fill it with a thin filler. My wife had a couple of yards of felt lying around, so I snagged some for filler and doubled that up as well. I took my time laying out the pattern with my framing square, then cut it out. I did manage to start laying out the big piece in the wrong orientation (twice!), so just ignore the lines that don’t look like they belong…

Felt backer

Felt backer

I folded in the 1/2″ seam allowance and pinned the fabric together, then handed it off to my wife to sew up the edges. With the three blanks sewn up, I wrapped them around the chair rungs and pinned them in place. After carefully disassembling the chair, my wife sewed the loops for the rungs. Everything seems to fit fairly well, but I can’t test it out too well untill I pick up the right length bolts to hold the back on. I have some short bolts holding it up at the moment.

Sewing it all together

Sewing it all together

The new chair is definitely bigger than it’s predecessor. Hopefully it will be just as comfortable when complete. Tomorrow, I will probably start on the arms. I am not entirely sure how I will do them yet…

Side by side

Side by side

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on August 5, 2013 by in furniture and tagged , .

Number of visitors

  • 119,019 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 84 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: