Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Ironing board storage cabinet – day 1

I have a couple of projects to work on this weekend. I started on the first one today. I am making a cabinet to house an iron and ironing board.  They will be used on the altar cloths that are stored in the sacristy cabinet I built a couple of weeks ago. Since it will sit right next to the sacristy cabinet, it will have some similar features. I sorted through what I had left in my pile of white oak and pulled out all the wood I would need for the cabinet.

Laying out boards for the project

Laying out boards for the project

Planing boards to size

Planing boards to size

I began planing all of the boards down to 3/4″ thick, but I started having trouble pushing the boards through. With all of the planing I have been doing lately, my blades were getting pretty dull. I set the wood aside and opened up the planer. It is very easy to change the blades in my Rigid planer, but past experience has taught me to be extremely cautious. There are seven nuts that have to be loosened in order to remove each blade. In the past, I have slipped, when the wrench breaks the nut loose, and sliced my finger on the exposed blade. Three times to be exact. The last time, I took off a large slice that went nearly to the bone. Half of a tube of super glue later you can hardly tell. But it did encourage me to finally take a few precautions. I wear a glove and lay a chunk of wood across the blade. Now I only bruise my knuckles if I slip…

Carefully changing the blades

Carefully changing the blades

Everything planed to size

Everything planed to size

With the blades replaced, I finished planing the boards down to size. I cut all of the boards, that would be glue-joined, down to the correct length. Then I clamped all the pieces for each assembly together, while I cut them, so they would all be exactly the same length.

Cutting sides down to size

Cutting sides down to size

Glueing up the sides

Glueing up the sides

With everything milled down to size, I started spreading the glue on each edge that would be joined. I glued up as many assemblies as I could this evening. I will unclamp them in the morning and finish glueing up the front and back panels. While they are drying, I will probably get started on my other project…

Clamping chaos

Clamping chaos

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on March 15, 2013 by in Church projects, furniture and tagged , , .

Number of visitors

  • 130,663 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 90 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: